We welcome you to our Sunday Service at 10:30a.m.
As of June 5th, as the Diocese of Toronto moves to “Green Stage” – removal of COVID-19-related restrictions (with the exception of the vaccine mandate for all clergy, staff and volunteers) – we give thanks and all glory to God, who inspired and sustained this Church over the past two years. Our parish is lifting social distancing restrictions slowly over the coming weeks and months ahead. Wearing a mask is optional.
The Church or Atonement Alderwood, whose motto is "Faith, Fellowship and Stewardship", celebrates its storied past and looks forward to future decades as an integral part of the community.
1922 - The Mission of the Church of Atonement was first conceived in December 1922, but with no church building available, the services of "The Horner Avenue Mission" were held in the old Horner Avenue school house.
1924 - The Church of the Atonement on Horner Avenue opened officially on 9 July 1924, with the 143 attendance, with the Rev H O Tremayne requesting Bishop to officially open the building.
1953 - When the church on Horner Avenue became overcrowded, the present church (256 Sheldon Ave) designed by the architectural firm of Hanks, Irwin and Pearson, with an estimated cost of $90,000, was built. The church of Atonement opened on Lanor and Sheldon Ave in 1953.
1981 - Parishioners unanimously voted for a complex incorporating the church building and a seven-storey senior-citizens' apartment complex. The 60th anniversary of the Parish Church in 1983 gave the Jubilee Centre its name.
*Credits and Special thanks to Etobicoke Historical Society, Katherine Williams, and the Anglican Diocese of Toronto Archives and Church of Atonement parish records.Full Article is published on "The Aldernews" on September 2005. Copy of the news is attached.